Recession = Increase in Baby Abuse

Shaken Baby Syndrome reports have been on the rise since the recession according to the study by researchers at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital in Cleveland. Why is this happening?

One article I reviewed online via US News offers the suggestion that an increase in stress levels due to economic situations such as unemployment and foreclosures, as quoted by Mary I. Huang, a fourth-year medical student at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. The increased number of families who are having to move in with friends or relatives who may not have the interest in these babies.

People tend to lash out at those who are smaller and weaker…..but a BABY!? It makes me sad, angry and frustrated to hear about such injustice. If anyone feels that out of control and needs a physical release, might I suggest punching a wall? Preferably a brick one. I am not feeling much compassion right now 🙁

You may also like...

8 Responses

1. Ailene says:

I truly knew about most of this, but having said that, I still thought it was valuable. Great task!

2. brinda says:

Thanks, Ailene, I appreciate the feedback. I must add here a plea for anyone struggling with the urge to lash out at a child PLEASE find your local Parents Anonymous meeting and go…now.

3. Darrell says:

Fabulous content, We are viewing back again frequently to watch out for fresh news.

• brinda says:

Thank you, Darrell. My plan is to update every week; however, recent personal events delayed posting this past week. Please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything you would like specific information about and I will do whatever I can to keep you and my other readers informed.

4. I am an abuse survivor and now a mental health therapist. Everyday I interview new patients at psych hospital and I hear the worst of the worst stories. Not detailed stories of peoples abuse, they don’t want to talk about that in detail and would rarely volunteer the information if I didn’t ask them. The stories I hear are of the aftermath. The emotional wounds and chaos that childhood abuse creates in the human psyche are well known and studied in the field of social work, and psychotherapy. The rest of the world still doesn’t really get it. Thank you for telling your story.

• brinda says:

Thank you, Natalie for you comment. It takes someone of strong character to be an abuse survivor, then work in mental health. Thank God we have people like you who know not only what a patient says, but doesn’t say. Some victims of abuse do not even consider themselves abused. Children, especially, usually keep “secrets” well and protect parents who abuse them. I appreciate the job you do and pray for your well-being and for success in your work.

5. Interesting says:

Hi! I just want to tell you that I found this blog really useful to me. I will visit this blog regularly to read more. Thanks

• BrindaCarey says:

Thanks for letting me know you found some useful information here. If there is anything specific you would like to know more about, feel free to send me a private email through “Contact Info” or simply leave a comment on this site. I will respond as soon as possible.
      Brinda